Monday, April 21, 2008

Lee Charles Kelley vs. Cesar Millan

Like many others, I'm a fan of Cesar Millan. Kelley seems to have respect for Cesar's abilities but believes his philosophy is fundamentally wrong.

For one thing, he says the dominance theory comes from observing wolves in captivity (and scavenging dogs) not behavior in the wild. Well, to me, I would think the dominance theory would still apply to pet dogs since, when you think about it, they actually are in captivity and not in the wild.

And as I read further, there's is a lot of overlap in their methods. In any case, both get good results. (I wish I could obtain a fraction of their success with dog rehabilitaton.) And that's really what counts.

Anyway, while googling, I found this post by Eva in the DogWhispererFans Yahoo group.

DogWhispererFans is actually only the fourth most popular (as counted by number of members) in the Dogs/Training and Obedience category on Yahoo. Number 1 is agbeh (aggressive behaviors in dogs group). I'll be wanting to check this group out.

No comments: