Saturday, April 19, 2008

bit again

I'm starting this blog after getting bitten by Kimo again. This time it was something new. I was sitting down with him (not looking at him) on the back slab. Then he heard Keith bark, went wild and went after my hand. I'd rate this the third worst bite after the first bite when he bit me on the front steps when I was reading the paper and he woke up. That about ties with the time he claimed a kleenex and took it to his area in the back (near the air conditioning unit) and I tried to take it away with my foot while he was growling. The first two I went to the doctor and got anti-biotics. This time, I think (I hope) I can get away without going to the doctors. It doesn't look that swollen. To me, anyway.

The fourth worst was a couple of weeks ago when I was on the front steps and he was on the landing just below me. He must have dozed off and when he awoke he went after my arm. Luckily most of the attack was blunted by my sweatshirt. (This sounds like I'm in denial at the dangerous behavior. Maybe I am.)

One thing I did this time was kind of moaned and said ow after he bit me. I don't know if that did anything. But he did seem to look remorseful. He even licked my wound later on. I let him lick my back of my hand earlier and today I let him lick the heel of my hand (which has the heavier wounds).

I've been reading the reviews and blog entries of Lee Charles Kelley. Something new I tried (I think I started just before I got bitten, but I don't think there's a connection) was to try calling him with a playful voice to come. It seems to work when he's barking in the back with his head around the corner of the house (he can just reach with the leash and chain (not really a chain) on. I also tried it today when he was barking at the fence in the garage. I walked past him while and said come as I walked to the back of the garage. And he came.

Today after feeding him (he didn't eat all), he nipped at my heels and jumped on me as I was leaving. So I gave him a toy to play with (the gift from Hershey). And he played with it for quite a while whereas in the past he generally ignored it. Except for the times, I would hide food under its feet and he would tip it over.

I don't know if this is related (maybe partly), but I tried a little of the feed and push technques as expained by Lee Charles Kelley and Neil Sattin. I would be rubbing his chest as I fed him and gave very slight pressure. If I gave too much pressure, then he wouldn't eat. Maybe he doesn't like the food THAT much.

He was barking on the landing just now and I tried to get him to come. I had to tug slightly at the leash and encourage him and he eventually came. Though it's early, (8:26 PM) as I write this, I gave him his favorite pillow with a blanket on top. He growls as he arranges the blanket with his foot. And I don't know why. He does the same thing with the towel in his doghouse. And actually he kind of does the same thing with the pillow itself. Maybe he's trying to dig into it like he does with dirt?

He just now was barking at the landing and I walked quickly past him down the steps and said come. And he followed me. I doubt that it would work if he's barking fiercely at a dog or big truck though. But I guess it's a start.

No comments: