Wednesday, April 30, 2008

engage or avoid?

Today the senior women were out. Amy and Harriet were first, joined by mom and Betty. I decided to go out earlier than usual since Betty was out, though Amy went home by the time I went out. Gerald brought Hershey soon after and Harriet went over to talk to him about some possible business or something.

Anyway, I went up the street and Reina was out with Miki and Shammy. Kimo started breathing heavy and seemed ready to erupt. So I turned him away and he reacted badly as I turned him away. Like a kicking and screaming child throwing a tantrum. I think turning him away while he wanted to go the other way might have made matters worse. So it's a no-win scenario.

This afternoon, Koa was being taken for one of his infrequent walks. I don't know the neighbor's name that was walking him, but he's kind of a burly muscular guy. I think that was his wife with him, don't know her name either. And a bunch of neighborhood kids. Don't know their name either.

Anyway, Keith and Kimo were going wild. I was going to let him be in the back, but when they returned unexpectedly, I decided to take Kimo out. Also unexpectedly Pat had taken Keith out too. Kimo went wild, but this time instead of turning back, I held him tightly until he calmed down. Meanwhile Koa was made to sit and seemed to be behaving well. That's a good sign.

Then I followed the group up the road, trying to control Kimo. It was kind of like when I first met Miki and Shammy. I would follow them and eventually caught up with them. Then after doing this every day for a few weeks, Kimo stopped reacting and even became friendly to them.

Tragically Harold passed away. Harold kept Miki and a short leash and would hit her on the head when she misbehaved. While I don't recommend hitting dogs, this would keep her in control. And often Miki and Kimo would walk side-by-side sometimes even bumping each other like two ships going parallel in narrow channel. Unfortunately, I can't do that with Reina since she lets Miki out on a loose leash and lets her walk in front.

Anyway, lately Kimo has been acting up when he sees Miki. (Though, strangely he doesn't do so when Miki's behind her fence. Though he shies away from the fence and doesn't want to go close.) So I'm wondering what I should do. Should I continue to turn away? Or engage like I used to. I'm thinking I should engage now. When he acts up, I'll need to turn him away and hold him tightly until he calms. The problem is that sometimes Miki acts up too. And sometimes Kimo goes really out of control into the red zone. So I dunno.

[5/9/08] Dunbar suggests teaching the command, "GENTLY," which can be useful in diverting dogs from a fight. "SIT" and "OFF" are also important commands. It is important to be able to redirect your dog's attention to you -- and thus away from another dog who may be engaging in challenging eye contact and aggressive or otherwise undesirable behaviors. [I guess that's what I'll try to do. Redirect him to me. If you call turning him in a different direction redirecting :)]

No comments: