Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Biker

There's a guy who passes by on a racing bike once in a great while. He must be a biker since he's wearing a racing bike helmet.

The last time Kimo saw him, he was in the front and he went wild.

This time he was in the back. Keith started barking and then Kimo joined in. Keith normally doesn't bark at cars, but apparently he barks at bikes. I got Kimo to come with minimal difficulty, tugging and trying to be cheerful in my come.

But right after that, the UPS truck came. I got Kimo to come and sit. But when he heard the noise of the truck, he went a bit wild. I had to hold him tightly so I wouldn't get bitten. I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and pulled him up slightly and that seemed to calm him down.

I don't know if that's the right thing to do, but I do whatever seems to work. On the other hand, it kind of reminds me of the Teddy Pom Pom episode (I think it was) of It's Me or the Dog when the lady pulled the dogs off the ground with their leash when they barked too loud. Victoria didn't seem too pleased with that method.

I'm trying not to pet until he seems "calm-submissive" as I just watched an episode of the Dog Whisperer this morning. Looking it up, it was the Eppie episode. You don't want to reinforce the wrong state of mind.

No comments: