Friday, April 25, 2008

Where does Kimo sleep?

Usually Kimo sleeps in his doghouse. But lately he's been sleeping in the dirt area in the afternoon. I guess it's been hot, and it's cool over there. Actually he used to sleep there all the time, but I moved him to the garage when we had a wet spell and he got used to sleeping in the doghouse.

But then, I started moving him in the back after Melinda complained that he would wake her up when he barked at the Advertiser van in the early morning.

The difference this time is that I faced the opening of the doghouse toward the door (instead of away). I think he feels more secure this way because he can look and see the back door and the light coming from the house. With this arrangement, he always slept in the doghouse.

However, tonight he decided to sleep in the dirt. Something he hadn't done in a while. I don't know whether he feels more secure and confident now and didn't need the security of being in the house. Or maybe his chain got stuck and he couldn't reach the house.

[4/25] Kimo was howling at the siren. I went outside and he was still in the dirt area. I went over and encouraged him out. Then he wanted to be petted and I directed him to the space between the chair and his house. And finally he went inside. I really don't know how smart Kimo is. Sometimes it's like he doesn't know how to move out of his spot. Or doesn't want to.

I went out and noticed the chain kind of stuck on the brick, so that he wouldn't be able to make it all the way back to the slab in the back. But usually if this happens, he barks to let me know he's stuck. Well, we'll see what happens tomorrow night.

No comments: