Monday, August 11, 2008

walking Koa

Sunday.

I took out Kimo. Koa was snoozing on his pillow as we passed, but whined as we passed him on the way back.

So I took home Kimo because I didn't think Koa was ready to walk with him. Then went to get Koa. We walked up the street but it wasn't going all that smoothly so I decided to reverse the leash and put it high on his neck. He seemed to walk much better that way. At least it was less of a struggle for me.

Keith still barked when we walked past. So I kept walking back and forth trying to condition him not to bark. Whenever I thought I almost had it, Keith would let out a bark and back I would come. That went on for quite a while. And I guess Pat got fed up and got Keith away from the window. Then we went on our merry way.

Back up the street I saw Reina taking out Miki and Shammy. Challenge. Since Koa seemed to be walking in control, I figured I'd try. But Koa was reacting to Miki so I struggled to get him closer. But then Miki acted up on sight of Koa. Undaunted I caught up with Miki. Reina kind of told me to go ahead but I wanted them to walk together. But the dogs didn't like it and Reina took them home. I told Reina I was sorry and that I wanted to see what they would do. And she said she kind of knew what they would do (that's bad energy to me) and she wanted me to go ahead. I told her I could go ahead but down the driveway she went. She didn't seem too happy.

I guess we're on different wavelengths. I'm trying to get the dogs to walk together. But she wants to avoid conflict. Well, I should force what I want on her. I'm pretty sure they could walk together, but I wouldn't think it would work the way Miki walks in front of her. It probably would work with Wynn holding Miki. And maybe even with Amy.

Keep going. I went back down the road and heard Max barking at us. So (undaunted again) I took Koa to Max's door and let them sniff each other. Diana was in curlers, so she didn't want to take out Max, so I offered to walk Max w/ Koa. I took them down to Kimo and let Max and Kimo sniff each other thru the garage fence. Then I took the dogs home.

So I'd say it was a mixed bag today. Well, live and learn.

No comments: