Tuesday, August 19, 2008

do not attempt these techniques without consulting a professional

Thursday, 8/14

It started out like a normal day. I took out Kimo, then saw Hershey and grabbed him for the walk.

Then I saw Reina coming out with Miki and Shammy. Kimo reacted as I came closer so I ducked into a garage. And she passed. I didn't look.

I went to get Koa but he was back to pulling. But it got a little better as the dogs started to pant

I took Kimo home and Hershey too (fed Hershey and Koa treats).

Try a new strategy walking Koa. Let Koa go loose on leash and then let him get jerked when he reaches the end of the leash. It seemed he was starting to get the idea after a while. Anyway, it was better than him constantly pulling.

I continued on and saw Amy leaving home. Reina had left over. Then I saw Ann coming back w/ Mochi and she took him home.

Lead us not into temptation. I took Koa down the driveway wanting to see how he and Miki would react to each other. But Miki went down around the corner and they were out of sight of each other.

Then Ann and Kimo left. Double-temptation. WTH, you only live once (maybe).

I opened the gate and brought in Koa. I went around the corner. Miki and Shammy were probably happy to see me, but didn't know what to make of Koa. At least they didn't charge him right away.

Shammy came over to sniff. I held Koa and he started to growl.

Miki reacted to the growl. And Koa reacted to Miki. They went at it and I grabbed them both.

Miki calmed down quickly and I took Koa back to the first gate and made him lie down. Shammy still wanted to sniff him and Koa growled uncomfortably. Koa seemed scared and wanted to go home, but Miki & Shammy seemed calm.

I fed Shammy and Miki some treats through the fence and treated Koa too.

I figure that was enough and exited.

Dogs were barking as we left. I think one was Nalu but I'm not sure who the other dog was. I sat Koa until all was quiet.

I took Koa home. He lay down and I noticed a small bite bark on his hind quarters. I guess Miki got him.

I went home to get some bactine and saw Vern out w/ Bobby. Bobby barks (but it sounds like he has his vocal chords cut), and gave him a treat.

Then I went back to administer the bactine.

Gee, I hope nobody is reading this. But, despite the incident, I think this shows that these dogs can get co-exist and wouldn't be constantly trying to kill each other.

It's a chain reaction. Koa get scared and growls in self-defense. Miki takes that as aggression and becomes aggressive. Or maybe she was defending Shammy. I'm 99.9% sure that if the right person (or dog) were in control of both Koa and Miki they could co-exist. I don't believe Koa is aggressive, but defensive. And Miki seems to mostly react to the other dog's reaction.

No comments: