Thursday, May 8, 2008

Walking at a distance

Kimo is still reacting to Keith. When Keith barks, he barks and I wouldn't categorize it as a peaceful bark.

Today when I took him out for a walk, Pat took Keith out. It seemed I was about to pass Keith successfully (Keith was coming up the street and Kimo was coming down the sidewalk and kind of looking a bit at Katherine's cat in the garage). But then Keith barked and Kimo went wild for a moment.

Not time to give up. I went up the street and when Keith turned around, I decided to follow at a distance. That way, Kimo would have some interaction with Keith at a safe distance and could practice not being wild in his presence. When Pat started to turn around, I turned Kimo around too, so Keith could have that same experience. I took it kind of slow trying to be gentle when Kimo wanted to turn back to look at Keith. We went up and down a couple of times with minor reaction. So I would categorize this walk as a success.

No comments: