Thursday, May 22, 2008

sniffing Koa

Today Koa was loose up the street as I took Kimo out for his walk.

If Koa was loose and Kimo was behind our fence, he'd be going wild. But I slowly approached him as Kimo seemed mostly unconcerned though Koa looked a little apprehensive. I kept the leash loose to avoid unneccessary tension. Eventually we got close enough and Koa turned away so as to allow Kimo to sniff his butt. I'd count that as a score.

We continued on and on our way back, Koa was standing on the road near his house watching us come back. We got to his property and I let Kimo sniff around. And Koa eventually came around and sniffed Kimo's butt. Another score.

He did bark a couple of times. I'm not sure why. But Kimo didn't react to it. So I'd say this was a positive encounter. At least, it was mostly absent of negatives.

* * *

Koa was out again in the afternoon. Or maybe he was out all day? He was by the kids up the street and the kids looked pretty apprehensive though Koa seemed pretty calm and friendly. The grandma seemed a bit worried though and kept telling Koa to go home. So I went and got one of big Koa's leashes and brought along Koa on our walk (with Yokomoto and Chung).

When I brought him back home, I was going to tie him up in the front. But Kimo was sniffing around and Koa seemed interested in sniffing him. Toni heard us outside (didn't know anybody was home) and let Koa in. She apparently knows the problem but they are unable to stop him from getting loose. I told her he squeezes under the fence. She said he still gets out despite them putting rocks under there.

Well, actually I'm OK with Koa getting out since it's one more dog for Kimo to get sociable with.

No comments: