Thursday, May 8, 2008

The latest bite

This is getting a little discouraging as his bites are getting more frequent. There was a stretch of months where I didn't get bitten. But there probably were cases where I would have gotten bitten if I were in closer proximity, because, now thinking about it, there were a number of occasions when he went wild and out of control.

This time it was something new. In the past I would get bitten when Kimo didn't want to move from a certain area and I would grab him to move him.

The other times was when I was sitting by him while he was sleeping or snoozing and he would wake up and go after the first thing he sees.

This time it was food possession. I took him and Hershey back to the Tsutsui's steps and they were in their usual spots. The only unusual thing was that he was sniffing at the Tsutsui wall when I don't remember him doing.

Anyway, I was feeding them as usual. Putting the treat on the ground and making them lie down and wait before letting them have it. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I saw his paw in an unwanted position, it might have been covering the food or on my hand and I went to move it. And when I did, he bit my hand and went wild.

I made him lie down and lay him on his side under mild protest. His eyes seemed kind of glazey at first but then seemed to relax a little after a while. In the meantime, Hershey went to the grass at a safe distance because I think Kimo went after him when he went wild. Hope that didn't mess up Hershey because he's the closest to a dog friend that Kimo has.

Then Kimo didn't want to get up. I didn't want to force him up because the leash was under his legs. So eventually I enticed him by putting a treat on the ground just out of reach. Then he got up to eat it and I took him in the back.

He sat down as usual and I sat on the chair. But then he wanted to lick the wound area, even jumping up on my leg to reach the wound. I let him lick some, but stood up when he went up on my leg. I gave him the sad face (and I was really sad thinking of the possibility of euthanizing him). I doubt if the sad face really did anything. But who knows?

What's worrisome now is how I'm going to treat this problem now that I'm aware of it. He's not supposed to do this to the pack leader. So either I'm not the pack leader or he quickly loses control of his emotions when something doesn't go his way. Well I know the latter is true. And the former is probably partially true at least.

* * *

Another worry was he didn't growl first in warning and just immediately attacked.

* * *

Once again, Kimo seemed to know that he bit me or at least that I was hurt as he went to lick my wounds when I sat down in the chair and petted him. He would even jump up to try to reach the most wounded area, but I stood up to discourage that. I'm still thinking his saliva might have medicinal properties. Like that Man Among Wolves special where the guy would get bitten by the wolves and the wolves would lick him later.

No comments: