Thursday, June 4, 2009

bites upon being awakened

Kimo's not the only one (see Wake-Up Call). Here's a letter to Dr. Fox.

Dear Dr. Fox: We have a 9-year-old Shih Tzu who gets really ugly come sundown. If he is awakened from a sound sleep (at any time), he will bite hard on whatever he can find -- including hands and arms. He growls and snarls until he can be calmed down.

We have had him since he was 6 weeks old. He also is afraid of loud noises. He sleeps in our bed and when he is up there he gets testy.

He does not enjoy being around little children and has been kicked a couple of times. Otherwise, he is very friendly and runs to meet company on their arrival. He lies on my lap when we are watching TV or reading the newspaper. Sometimes, at night, if I pick him up, hold him and pet him for a while before putting him on the bed, he seems OK. However, if awakened: Katy, bar the door.

We cannot remember when this first started. Do you have any idea why this is happening? What can we do to correct it? -- C.M., Granbury, Texas

Dear C.M.: Your dog has developed a conditioned emotional reaction that is timed with altered brain function associated with the post-sleep arousal mechanism. In other words, his brain chemistry is off kilter, possibly associated with low serotonin levels.

You need to discuss this with a veterinarian who could prescribe and monitor various supplements and herbs, notably melatonin, L-tryptophan and valerian. In the interim, you may want to try putting a drop or two of lavender (L. angustifolia) on a bandana around his neck before he naps. This essential oil can have a dramatic calming effect on dogs.

* * *

Actually that sounds worse (or at least different) than Kimo's condition. I think Kimo's is a protective reaction. I'm thinking some event might have happened to him when he was asleep. So now he reacts defensively when he wakes up or even is startled while resting. But maybe this lavender oil might be worth a try. I wonder where you can get it.

Today, I was reading the paper on the steps and Kimo lay down next to me. I slightly nudged him with my food (unintentionally) and he turned and jumped on my leg and growled. Then realization set in after a couple of seconds and he backed off. Maybe it's progress that he didn't bite me, but maybe it's because my hands were safely away from him.

No comments: