Sunday, August 2, 2009

getting better? but still dangerous

I still maintain that Kimo has gotten better, but he's still not safe.

Donna and Christie were in the back with Kimo and I was inside on the computer.

I hear some screaming in the back and I run to the back. Kimo is growling at them. I pick up the leash and try to leash him as Kimo goes wild. He nips at me and gets my thumb. A few seconds later he calms down a bit but I see blood dripping to the ground. My blood. He calms down further and I go to wash my hand with the hose.

The bleeding didn't completely stop (slow ooze) until the next day. It's still kind of numb as I write this the next day.

Christie said what happened was that Kimo jumped on her and she grabbed his paw to take him off. That's when he started growling. I think I made it worse by running outside and confronting him with the leash. That might have heightened the intensity. I should have just stayed between them until he calmed down. Or at least not put my hand in harm's way.

So Kimo is still prone to these episodes when he goes wild and strikes unthinkingly. But this time he was reacting to me trying to leash him from the front.

[Sun 8/2, posted 8/3]

No comments: