Sunday, July 24, 2011

Kimo vs. Tuffy

home from the volleyball tournament. whew, Joey is still on the steps.

JoJo returns. Let Jojo and Joey out.

Uh oh, Keith is coming out.

Keith (on the leash) and Joey are going at it. Keith shows no sign of let up. Eventually Pat pulls Keith away and I take away Joey.

Since Keith is now out, I take Kimo out and go up the street. Hey, that looks like Tuffy.

It is Tuffy. He must have gotten loose. Tuffy comes close. Kimo escalates. Fight.

I let Kimo loose so he is free to fight or run away. They got at it for a little while and to my relief Tuffy breaks it off, backs off, and heads home.

WTH (I crazily thought), let me try walking them together. [do not attempt these techniques without consulting a professional]

First I tied Kimo, Jojo, and Joey at the Taylor gate. Get Fifi's leash and retrieve Tuffy. (Sorry Fifi, not today.)

Bring Tuffy to the gate, holding him in one hand and untie the dogs with the other hand. I was hoping for the best, but as might be expected, Kimo goes nuts and Tuffy reacts too (probably the other two were going wild too, but I concentrated on the bigger two). I held Kimo and Tuffy up by the leash so they wouldn't attack each other, but in the meantime I got bit in the leg (the inside of my left knee). Not sure by who, but probably by Kimo.

So seconds (or minutes) later, they were settled down enough, so that I could proceed with the walk. Tuffy isn't a crazy puller but he pulled enough to not make it easy. But I managed to make it down the street and I think to the end of the street.

I took Kimo home (I think maybe on the way) and then Joey too.

Up the street I saw Roy, Charlotte, along with Amy out walking. So I decided to walk with them. Amy kind of separated from us (I think she might be scared of Tuffy), but I caught up to Roy and Charlotte. Charlotte seemed to get anxious though when Tuffy got near her.

After a little while, I handed Jojo's leash to Roy. And we walked for a while.

Then after a little while more, Charlotte wanted to try walking Jojo so she got the leash from Roy. She seemed pretty pleased that she was able to do it because she was always fearful of dogs since she got bitten when she was younger.

I stopped with Tuffy in the driveway and Kimo reacted. Not greatly, but he was barking and pawing at the fence. Tuffy didn't respond and in fact sat with his back to Kimo. After a while, Kimo settled down. And I retrieved Joey.

Caught up to Roy and Charlotte and handed Joey's leash to Roy. So now it was three humans and three dogs. Amy saw us and probably was amused. I told her she could grab Kimo and join us (no deal).

Charlotte went home to make dinner. Then Janice came by and picked up JoJo.

Roy finished his walk and went home. I took Joey home and that left me with Tuffy.

Wasn't sure what to do. So I walked a couple more laps and took him home. Couldn't find where Tuffy escaped from. Luckily there was a rope nearby and tied him to the gate (nobody was home).

After dinner, I went to check on Tuffy. Still nobody was home.

Then I decided to check on Koa. Saw Toni outside watering and we started talking (her more than me). After quite a while, I finally got on my way, but not without first getting a free bag of lentil sprouts.

I noticed Nalu and Kristen got home and were in the car outside. So I let them know what happened.

Got home like 11:40 PM.

[Sunday 7/24, posted 7/27]

No comments: