Wednesday, August 11, 2010

another reactive dog

Kimo was lying down and it was kind of drizzly, so I decided to just take out Hershey instead. Went to the beginning of the road and came back and encouraged Hershey to come up the side of our house which he is reluctant to do.

Kimo started barking (at something he heard?) so Hershey got even more reluctant. I went in the gate and Kimo started running around back and forth. After a while, he got some of the excitement out and I took them both out.

Up Lolena Hill. There was some work going on the graveyard, so I took the dogs outside the fence.

Makanani. Precious is home. Still a bit excited behind the gate. Kimo seems to want to go to the fence. Guess he didn't learn from the last time he got bit by her.

Past Sonny's house. Didn't see Sonny at first. But then Sonny's head appeared behind the door. Kimo wanted to go down the steps and I let him loose. He went to the door. Jennifer was home and opened the door so Sonny could stick her head out. Kimo went close but didn't really sniff her. Jennifer said she closed the door because the neighborhood dogs were barking at the gas man.

Up to Puna. Don't see Hoku but the dogs wait by the gate -- evidently waiting for me to take them in. A little later, I see Dottie walking up with Hoku. They play a little on leash, but Dottie has to take Lani to Pali Momi for some procedure.

Further up. Let Kimo go up Joey's steps. Kimo sits behind me while Hershey stays near the bottom of the steps. There's Joey looking at a distance. He doesn't come to the gate, then disappears.

OK, around back. Joey is on the steps near the back door. Treat the dogs, but Joey just lies down and looks at a distance though later he sits and looks.

Ilima, back down Aulii. I see what looks like an old lady digging grass at Steve's house. What do you know, it's Steve. Tries to pet Hershey but Hershey stays at a distance. Kimo sniffs him. Tell him Kimo is the one that bites and don't make any sudden moves. So he doesn't pet him.

Go to Lolena Wall. A couple of caucasian young women are coming up with a medium sized short-haired brown dog with a muzzle on. I stop by the end of the wall. They stop by the other end of the wall. And it seems we're waiting for each other to move. After a while, I offer to go down the hill but they say where I am is fine. Then I see them treating her and praising her. So I figure it must be a reactive dog and they're trying to get him used to other dogs.

So I just sat on the wall with Kimo sitting behind me next to me and Hershey on the ground. This goes on for more than a few minutes. So I figure I'll give Kimo and Hershey some treats too. Finally they make their move, calmly walking by. No incidents. As they pass, I asked "reactive dog?" They affirm and I say "this one too". They thank me "very much" as they leave. They must be into R+. Cool.

No comments: