Friday, March 13, 2009

Koa's tapeworm medicine

After finding tapeworms in Kimo's poop yesterday morning and this morning (though not yesterday afternoon), I saw tapeworms in Koa's poop this morning.

Since I had to go refill Koa's prescription anyway, I went down to Gleason's office and told them about the tapeworm. I was expecting Droncit which is what Kimo's vet gives. Instead I got Drontal Plus.

It turns out that Bayer puts out both products and that Drontal Plus is the same as Droncit (which is praziquantel) plus two more ingredients pyrantel Pamoate and febantel. The other two ingredients act against hookworms and tapeworms.

***

[2/7/11 via Linda&dogwhispererfans] I use Iverhart Max for my 4guys. I get the 51-100lb size and cut them in half for Toby and Teddy my Border Collie mixes. 2 packages cost me $80 and get me 6 months of heartworm prevention as well as catching roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms . Ingredients are ivermectin, pyrantel pamoate and praziquantel.

So this is another possible treatment for tapeworms. Actually it's for prevention of tapeworms, but maybe it'll treat it too?

From the website, Now, IVERHART MAX® (ivermectin/pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel) Chewable Tablets takes this powerful, proven treatment to the next level to give your pet the most complete protection available against heartworms and roundworms, hookworms, and now, tapeworms.

No comments: