Thursday, January 1, 2009

Kimo on New Year's Eve

The first year I got Kimo (late 2006), I took him with us to Billy's house on New Year's eve. He mostly sat outside next to the chair or went into the corner under the little shelter Cyna prepared for him.

The next year, I left him at home. We had the doghouse in the garage, so I thought he would go and stay there when/if the fireworks started. But when we came home, at first I couldn't find him. It turned out he had squeezed under the door that separated the garage from the laundry room and was hiding in there. He must have been scared because normally he doesn't fit under the door.

The year, I decided to leave him at home but to come home earlier before midnight. We got home around 11:15 or so and he was in the bushes where he normally doesn't stay. Apparently he was trying to figure out how to get to the back steps leading up from the laundry room to the house.

I decided to bring him to the front steps and try to keep him calm while watching the fireworks. There was quite a lot, more than I expected, and he seemed pretty skittish but mostly OK.

Sometime after midnight, it seemed to die down a bit. I was sitting on the steps just above the landing and I left him to go by the railing on the landing nearest the street. Kimo took that opportunity to run into the garage and up the steps. We stayed there for a little while, then I took him in back.

Not sure what I'm going to do next year. Maybe the same thing.

[posted 1/8/09]

No comments: