Thursday, September 30, 2010

18th Ave Bark Park

Took Kimo & Hershey out
went for a short lap, then decided to take them to the 18th Avenue Bark Park

Good sign for Kimo. As we came to the gate, the two medium sized dogs that were there came to the gate. Instead of shying away, Kimo went to the gate and they sniffed each other. Hershey was the one who stayed away from the gate.

Kimo still shy as he walks away when dogs persist in sniffing him. But if they turn away sometimes he sniffs their butts. At least no snapping at any dogs today. He didn't socialize much though, preferring to walk away on his own. He did though bark at a couple of trucks that drove by.

Hershey tried to play a couple of times. But mostly stayed by himself too. There was one particularly high energy dog (a boxer?) that was a little worrisome as he seemed too pushy to engage the other dogs. At one point, I think he tried to engage Hershey and Hershey let out a yelp. (I assume, I wasn't really watching directly.)

After a while, Kimo went to the gate to signal that he wanted to leave. So I took his leash and walked him the other way. Both Kimo and Hershey wandered and sniffed around for a while and we left.

When I first got there, there was only one lady carrying a baby (I think) walking around and having her two dogs follow her. By the time I left I think there were about four people there (all women) and about five or six dogs (not including Kimo and Hershey). But there was only that one really active dog running around. It was a little more crowded than the Moanalua bark park.

I considered also going to the Humane Society dog park, but decided one park today was enough.

***

In the afternoon, Hershey was howling. Mrs. Tsutsui was out with him. I went over to look, and the cat was in the bushes (but Helen couldn't see him). Garrett was coming down too, so maybe he thought Hershey was howling at him.

Since Garrett was out, I talk Hershey walking behind his truck. Then Mr. Yokomoto came out for his walk early because he thought it was going to rain. So I walked with him.

On the way, we saw Koa loose on the road. So he kind of hung around us as we walked. I let him in his gate. And then caught up with Sam. But as we came back, Koa was out of the road again. I don't know how he gets out, but I think he squeezes under the gate.

As we walked past my house, I retried a leash and leashed up Koa. And continued the walk (leaving Kimo at home). We went to the Yokomoto house, where Sam was taking his break between laps, then I went to take home Koa and put the plank at the bottom of the gate to block him. Then I took home Hershey.

Then Sam comes walking again. Kimo was up, so I took him out with the slip leash and we walked up the street and back. Kimo walked pretty well. Not much pulling to sniff or trying to stop on the road to lick himself.

***

Still later that afternoon. Barking. Keith was out with Pat. Then I see Snoopy out and Keith went nuts. And Kimo goes wild.

Snoopy exits going in back of the Sakamoto house and I play some food fetch with Kimo. Kimo got a little anxious/excited when Keith was going up his driveway, but didn't lose control.

So a pretty busy day for Kimo.

Kimo was pretty quiet in the evening, snoozing in the garage. He got up to bark when a strange car/truck drove past, so I took that opportunity to take him in the back.

[Thu 9/30, posted 10/1]

No comments: