Wednesday, April 28, 2010

cradling therapy

Dear Dr. Fox,

I have a 4-year-old female bichon/Shih Tzu cross, Missi. She is absolutely precious, but when I take for walks, she is absolutely uncontrollable. When I try to calm her down, she bites me. It's the same at home if she sees anything move outside.

Once she settles down, she's great with people. How can I make walking easier and more enjoyable for both of us?
K.S., Fargo, N.D.


Dear K.S.,

Your dog lacks self-control (or internal inhibition), a problem that is partly genetic, but also most probably due to her being raised indulgently, over-permissively and with no boundaries being set early in life.

I see her as a “delinquent” who may benefit from “cradling” therapy (gentle, repeated restraint in a trainer’s arms) that should have been part of her puppy-rearing regimen.

I describe this technique in my book Dog Body, Dog Mind.

A similar therapy was developed by psychotherapists several years ago in Canada to effectively help adolescents develop trust and self-control.

No comments: