Friday, April 16, 2010

barking at the paper guy

Kimo's been barking at the newspaper guy who comes early in the morning. Like 3:30 or 4:00 or so. This started when the guy started driving a new van which is sort of noisy. Especially when he revs the engine.

Kimo would go to the fence and bark. Then I would come out and walk to the fence and he would go back, sometimes reluctantly. I'm trying to get him used to the new car (or was it a van?)

Last night, he soft-barked but didn't get up. So I held him lightly on the back of the neck and massaged him when he calmed down. And kept massaging until the van left.

We'll see how this goes.

This is like how it was when he was in the front and would bark at the paper deliverers. (Then I moved him in the back at night because of Melinda's complaints.)

***

This morning the paper guy came as Aunty Snips was getting ready to leave. I could hear soft barking and I went outside. Kimo went to the fence and barked. I touched his neck to move him away and he touched the back of my hand with his teeth and then ran away from the fence. Not really a bite, though I think I see slight redness on the back of my hand. Which is OK I guess. [4/18/10 a.m.]

***

[4/21/10] Kimo barked at the paperguy, but came back from the fence when I softly called his name. So I guess he's not really going so nuts now at him.

***

[4/23/10] Kimo softbarked. I went out, placed my hand on his neck and sshh'd when he softbarked. And massaged when he stopped. He fussed slightly, but made no move to run to the fence.

No comments: