Wednesday, January 22, 2014

clipping Kimo's nails

In the seven+ years that Kimo has lived with me, I had never clipped Kimo's nails.  Not only would it have been scary to do so, but they were also worn down by our frequent walks.

Well, lately the walks haven't been as long (he doesn't seem to enjoy walking that much any more) and I noticed the claws on his right paw were long and the top of his right paw was darker than the other paw.  I don't know if the paw had been injured or just dirty.

Anyway, it didn't seem his nails would get worn down anytime soon, so I figured it was time (to try) to clip his nails.

I found the nail clipper that my sister used (I assume) when Kimo was young, that I had never used and brought it out.  I held Kimo's collar and brought the clipper near to his feet.  Didn't get much reaction.

Then I positioned the clipper and clipped off the tip of his nails.  No reaction.  So I did it to the other two nails that were protruding.

So still long, but better than before.

That was yesterday.

I decided to cut the nails shorter.  This time Kimo wanted to pull his foot away as I applied the pressure to his nails.  But no big reaction (as in no trying to bite me).  And the job was completed successfully.

Sorry.  No big dramatic story.  (Well not so sorry :)

No comments: