Saturday, February 18, 2012

Petey and Shirley

I saw Malia leave and Duane took Coco for a walk.

At the last minute, I decided to take Petey for a walk.

When I went in, Shirley was on the couch and Petey was nowhere in sight. I went to get Petey and he was all excited.

Shirley didn't run away this time and I took both of them out.

Pat was out and Keith was barking. But Pat remembered Petey and I brought him and Shirley over.

I walked them up and down a few times (not all the way to the beginning of the street). Kimo barked, but he was mostly barking at Keith.

They walked fairly well, though out in front. And Shirley started pulling as we headed back to their house.

After I took them home, I sat on the couch and Petey was still excited. After a while, Shirley came over and went up on the couch on my left while Petey was on my right. Petey remained excited and started licking my face. (Why do dogs lick your face?)

A couple of times, it looked like he was lunging after Shirley who was lying down facing away. (Maybe he was trying to claim me and keep her away. I lightly corrected him once.) I continued holding him gently by the collar and after quite a while he calmed down (as evidenced by the absence of his heavy breathing).

As I was leaving, he got excited again and I went back to the couch to get him calmed down.

Then I tried leaving again. He seemed a little calmer, but not all the way.

I think Petey's main problem is that he gets/remains in an excited state. I'm going to see if I can get him to relax more.

We'll see what happens next time.

No comments: