Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Kimo's dog food ratings

[8/18/13] running out of dog food after less than a month.  So went back to Petco.  This time I wanted to try a fish-based food since he's still getting soft poop (most of the time) with the chicken-based product along with the raw chicken (frozen chicken thighs).  Once in a while, his poops is pretty good.  I suspect it's when he eats the chicken thigh bones.

Anyway, this time I decided to get Wellness Super5Mix Complete Health.  This is the fish-based version.  Reading the package, it says on the front

no meat by-products, no wheat, no corn, no soy, no artificial colors, no artificial flavors, no artificial preservatives

single animal protein source - fish
supports skin & coat health
supports digestive health

I guess that's what he needs.  I don't know if I blogged this early, but Kimo developed a small lump/growth hear his rear quarters on the left side.  Took him to Dr. Kamiya and he said it didn't look dangerous and seemed localized to the skin.  And that he probably could apply local anesthesia and take it off.

So he told me to monitor it and see if gets bigger or changed color.

So Kimo started biting and licking it.  And it started to look pretty gruesome.  Then a few days ago, it looked like he gnawed the lump off and there's a small black scar over it.  So it's like he performed the surgery himself.  So I'm watching it to see if it heals or grows back or gets worse again.  Hoping for the best.

Anyway back to the dog food, on the back it has this blurb.

What's so special about whitefish & sweet potatoes?  All of our Wellness Super5Mix recipes start with a a variety of quality proteins and whole grains.  Usually, we add a host of complementary ingredients like fruits, veggies and botanicals in the mix.  However, some dogs need a simpler combination of whole foods and that's why we created our special Whitefish & Sweet Potato recipe.  Instead of several different proteins, we use fish as the primary protein source.  This omega-rich product is complemented by an easily digestible carbohydrate blend that includes sweet potatoes.  As a Super5Mix Complete Health recipe, it's also a great, everyday choice for our furry friends who simply love the taste of fish.

ThoughtfullyMade with a Simple Combination of Whole Foods: Whitefish, Ground Pearled Barley, Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flaxseed

Sounds promising.  We shall see.

Looking at dogfoodadvisor, they rate Wellness Super 5 Mix Dog Food Whitefish and Sweet Potato 3.5 stars.

***

Trying out a new dog food for Kimo after browsing at Petco.

The last one was Iams because before that he got a prescription food from Dr. Kamiya which was Iams.

Before that was I/D from Hills Science from Dr. Lau.

Before that I had been feeding him Beneful Healthy Harvest and when that went away Healthy Fiesta.

I had also gave him Kirkland (from Costco) and Taste of the Wild.

Beneful seems to be OK for a while, but then all this problems started with his runny poop.

How do they rate.

The current one is Nutro Ultra Senior.  It gets four stars from dogfoodadvisor.

Beneful gets one star.

Taste of the Wild gets 4.5 stars.  I got this one at Pet Discount Warehouse and didn't see it at Petco.

Kirkland gets 4 stars.  Didn't really notice any improvement when I gave Kimo this.

Hills I/D is not rated

Iams low residue gets 2.5 stars.

And long ago, Donna used to feed Kimo sweet potato with fish (or something) because it was thought Kimo had allergies.

Despite the higher ratings, I didn't notice any change for the better when I fed Kimo Kirkland or Taste of the Wild.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Article! I am using reviews as my guide in selecting dog food for my dogs. Dog Food Reviews are a great source of information. It's been a part of my decision in choosing the dog food to feed my dog. I am now more concern on the health of my dogs. http://healthierdogs.com/